Thursday, April 23, 2015



An Infestation

It must mean something,
these three inchworms materializing
just as we talk about  the shifts under your feet
ducking between the brambles of
oh what should I do?
and these little lime bodies
so translucent and sweet
like the uncurling sprouts from the damp soil mounds
waving little messages on my shoulders
hanging from the tips of my hair
while you wait for what I think

I believe in something I need not specify
as they bend and unbend their nymph forms like a nod

The next day the mailbox is sealed in their webbing
they dangle from the dogwoods, swaying like lanterns
the kids trap them in jars
we are dusting them from our clothes
picking them off each others’ backs
these cankerworms
biting holes in the brand new petals
spinning through some cycle of their own

but even as novelty gives way to nuisance
there is surely still an answer
in their sticky, hatching abundance.

No comments:

Post a Comment