Saturday, February 14, 2015

The Cards



















Antelope said
the lesson is do
yet she looked at me, horns down
and that reads more like this:

but first I will need a notebook,
small and spiral-bound with an arty, smart-looking cover
and naturally I should wait until the baby grows
at which point I can order a book
about doing
so that there’s no risk of doing it wrong

And already I see her white rump of warning disappear
into the foliage,
because these are not doings

These are the work of bear
finding golden sweetness in the hollow of an old tree
curling under layers of bark
digesting all that the thorny world has painted up to this point

until the first, tight buds coax him out
blinking against the white
when he will rumble to the surface
holding the answer in his hungry paw.

1 comment: