Monday, July 20, 2015

A Contest


I went out this morning
with the teeth of my rake
to wrestle a bit with the dormant earth.
I don’t know who won.
Certainly the pokeweed
her massive root, a living, wet vegetable
clung for her life
while the dry grasses of last summer’s weed
rolled easily into bales
right out of the garden gate
and seemed relieved to be done with the covering.
And most assuredly
The pungent humus
exhumed
let out a silent exhale
and shuddered proudly in the rawness
at the top of the pile.
Surely my arms,
burning at the shoulder
or heart
finding equanimity in the tussle and scrape
were no worse or better than the roots that crackled
with each rip
There was no anger on either of our part,
no real competition to speak of
and of reverence
I can only prostrate down so low before I am buried beneath it.

No comments:

Post a Comment