Thursday, March 20, 2014

Goose

I go for a run that morning
to shake off the dust of worry
that has settled in a fine layer
overnight

flipping through mental files of bills and checks,
the weight of legal documents,
how I would remodel a bathroom
with a claw foot tub
in a house I don’t yet own.

I run easily without the weight of the stroller
some flakes chipping off and flying behind me,
others sticking obstinately
as I move through a crowd of prattling geese.

One catches my attention
with what looks like a limp worm dangling from its face
that I soon realize is its tongue
shards of shattered beak left gaping around it.

I listen first to the revolted shudder that tells me to flee,
until that deeper spot tells me to go back
and be human.

That goose can’t do its work like that

and the grace of the rest of the geese,
who are busily gossiping in what I imagine to be
the comical accents of British butlers
while they mindlessly go about their work,
and the silly ease with which they rip up and nibble grass and seed
in their sleek, black beaks
only exaggerates the seemingly terminal condition of their luckless mate.

yet,
I watch as he waddles on able feet
with a heart that still needs beating
and dips his head unnaturally,
scooping what he can catch in the cracked remains of his face
and tips his head back to urge the pieces down his throat
past the flaccid tongue that only complicates the job,

and I am ashamed.

For to have worries is the work of the living
for those of us so fortuitously intact.


No comments:

Post a Comment